Marysville has had a library almost since its beginning; at first it was just a collection of books in an upstairs room. So what happened 50 years ago? That was when two separate county library systems - Snohomish and Island - decided to pool their resources and become one. Because of this, Sno-Isle can get more and better resources for everybody in the system than they could get separately.
What kinds of changes have we seen in the last 50 years? I can think of several:
- The catalog is now online, and you can access it anytime, anywhere with internet access
- We have over 30 computer terminals for patrons to use.
- We have online resources for learning and research, whether it be for repairing your car, exploring your genealogy, looking up a magazine article, or learning a language.
- You can check out items yourself if you want.
- You can ask for help finding what you want via live online chat or email.
- We have eBooks, audiobooks and music available for you to download.
- Hey, and we blog, too!
- We still have print books, magazines and newspapers.
- We still help you find what you're looking for either in person or by phone.
- We still have storytimes for young children with fun books, songs, and activities.
- We still provide a place for people to study or work or learn.
- We still promote a love of reading for all through programs and consultations.
What kinds of changes will happen in the next 50 years? I don't see that print will completely go away. But given the changes in the past 50, I know I can't even imagine the changes that we'll see! Please come and celebrate this coming Sat, and see what we put in our time capsule.